These pumpkin pancakes are naturally sweet (no added sugar), hearty and satisfying. The almond flour adds a bit of protein and substance, and the apple cider lends an autumnal sweetness, which eliminates the need for sugar. For an extra flair, add a few chocolate chips to the batter, warm, diced apples to sprinkle on top of the finished pancakes, and drizzle with maple syrup. If you don’t have all the ingredients on hand, there are ideas for substitutions below. It’s a breeze to whip these pancakes up in the blender by mixing the wet ingredients and then adding the dry ingredients. Having only to wash the blender and the griddle makes this pancake recipe quick to prepare and easy to clean up.
PUMPKIN PANCAKE RECIPE (12 pancakes)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup milk, whole
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp apple cider
- 1 tbsp buttermilk powder
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- diced apples to top pancakes, warmed
- Add pumpkin, milk, egg, butter, apple cider, and buttermilk powder to the blender (or mixing bowl). Mix well.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients (almond flour, white flour, salt, baking powder, salt, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice) to the blender or mixing bowl. Pre-mix if you prefer and then add to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add chocolate chips if you are craving a little cacao.
- Pour onto stove top griddle. Batter will be thick. Spread out pancakes with the back of the spoon or spatula you are using to 1/2 inch thick.
- Flip when lightly brown. Do not squish down with the spatula. Pancakes are best served warm, light and fluffy. Top with warm, diced apples and maple syrup.
- Store extra pancakes (after they have cooled) in a sealed container or ziplock bag in the fridge. Reheat in toaster for an quick, easy and delicious breakfast.
- Buttermilk is not necessary, but more a nice extra ingredient.
- Apple cider- replace with applesauce
- Pumpkin pie spice- replace with 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp allspice, 1/8 tsp nutmeg
Pumpkin Pancake Recipe (without apple topping and maple syrup)
- Per pancake: 81 calories total, 3 grams fat, 3 grams protein, 11 grams carbs, 2 grams sugar, 1 gram fiber
- Per pancake with chocolate chips: 112 calories total, 5 grams fat, 3 grams protein, 15 grams carbs, 5 grams sugar, 1 gram fiber